The Palestine Podcast #16: Aouda Zbidat on ‘Palestinian Political Prisoners from children to internees’
The Palestine Podcast showcases a selection of lectures, talks and interviews featuring leading experts and social justice activists active on the Palestine-Israel issue. Brought to you by the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign.
Click here to view all podcasts.
PP#16 – Aouda Zbidat on ‘Palestinian Political Prisoners from children to internees’ [2016-04-20] – (Download here)
To mark Palestinian Prisoners’ Day 2016 the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign was honoured to present Palestinian-Israeli lawyer Aouda Zbidat from Addameer, the Palestinian Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association who spoke on Wednesday 20th April in The Academy Plaza Hotel, Dublin. Her talk was be a first-hand account on the key human rights violations facing Palestinian Political Prisoners in occupied Palestine.
Some of the issues that Ms Zbidat addressed in her talk were:
– The issue of child prisoners and the abuse of children within the system – UNICEF has stated that Israel’s child prisoner “practices are in violation of international law”
– The issue of torture in Israeli prisons.
– Hunger strikes in Israeli prisons.
– Denial of prisoners rights and violations of international law in Israel’s prison system.
– Administrative detention – A form of internment without trial, which Amnesty says is used “to suppress the legitimate and peaceful activities of activists in the Occupied Palestinian Territories”.
– The 99.7% conviction rate for Palestinian security prisoners, tried before Israeli military (non-jury) courts “whose proceedings do not meet international standards for fair trial”, according to Amnesty.
– The detention of Palestinian parliamentarians and civil society leaders.
About the speaker
Aouda Zbitdat is a Palestinian-Israeli lawyer at Addameer (Arabic for conscience), a human rights organization based in occupied Palestine who campaign for the rights of Palestinian Political Prisoners. Aouda has, for the past three years, worked in Israel’s military courts representing Palestinian detainees and has closely worked on Addameer’s various campaigns to end policies of arbitrary administrative detention, and campaigns in support of hunger striking detainees.
Hosted by the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign (http://www.ipsc.ie)
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this podcast reflect the opinions of the speaker(s) only and do not reflect the views of the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign unless otherwise explicitly stated.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS