[Palestine] Keep Hope Alive – Olive Picking Program 2016 (JAI-ATG)
A program for Civil International Solidarity with Palestinians
The JAI together with the Alternative Tourism Group (ATG) are organizing the 13th annual Olive Picking Program of 2016. This agricultural event is of special significance to the Palestinian economy when all energies and efforts are mobilized.
Besides olive picking, the program features introductory presentations about the current situation in Palestine and the effects of the Apartheid Wall, tours in the old city of Jerusalem, Hebron, and Bethlehem, in addition to evening sessions, cultural event and social gatherings.
- An optional evening program will also be organized during the Picking Program, which includes film screenings or professional presentations on certain topics related to Palestinian life under occupation and the conflict.
- The cost of the program including accommodation in a double room, meals, guides, local transportation and other relevant expenses is $700. Requesting a single room at the hotel would cost the participant $200 Extra. Any extra night(s) accommodation (before the night of the 15th/16th of October, or after the night of the 24th/25th of October 2016) is beyond the scope of the program and the participant has to pay extra for.
- Accommodation can be arranged at a hotel or with a local family.
- A tour guide will be present with the group at all times for facilitation purposes.
- Travel from and to the airport is NOT included in the cost but can be arranged for groups (350 per person for each drive).
- Please do NOT fill and submit the registration form before booking your ticket, in order to fill your arrival and departure information in the same record.
- Upon registration, you are automatically admitted to participate in the program (without having to wait for confirmation from our side), and you will receive further information / replies accordingly.
Proposed daily schedule (subjected to minor changes)
- Saturday, Oct 15, Day 1: Arrival. Meeting representatives from the organizing institutions for an overview and discussion of the program.
- Sunday, Oct 16, Day 2: Half day picking olives at a selected field. After lunch, political tour and sightseeing in Bethlehem, including the visit of a refugee camp. Dinner and overnight in Bethlehem.
- Monday, Oct 17, Day 3: A tour in the old city of Hebron. Visiting the Ibrahimi Mosque. Guided tour in Hebron old city, market, H1/H2 areas, Shuhada street. Visiting a glass factory. Free time. Dinner and overnight in Bethlehem.
- Tuesday, Oct 18, Day 4: Half day picking olives at a selected field in, followed by Presentation on the onging displcamenet, the refugee questions with BADIL Resource Center for Palestinian Residency and Refugees’ Rights. Dinner and Overnight in Bethlehem.
- Wednesday, Oct 19, Day 5: free day.
- Thursday, Oct 20, Day 6: Half day picking olives at a selected field, followed by lunch. Geopolitical presentation with the Applied Research Institute Jerusalem (ARIJ), for a presentation on the Apartheid Wall and land confiscation. Visiting an olive press. Dinner and overnight in Bethlehem.
- Friday, Oct 21, Day 7: Full day of picking olives at a selected field, lunch included. Dinner and overnight in Bethlehem.
- Saturday, Oct 22, Day 8: Tour in the Old City of Jerusalem. Lunch, followed by a settlement tour around Jerusalem. Dinner and overnight in Bethlehem.
- Sunday, Oct 23, Day 9: Half day picking olives at a field. Lunch. Advocacy session and future planning. Evaluation meeting with institutions’ representatives, followed by a musical evening. Overnight in Bethlehem.
- Monday, Oct 24, Day 10: Departure.
It is our pleasure that people are taking part in our mission in Keeping Hope Alive together and to learn more about daily Palestinian life under a merciless military occupation.
For any other information or question, please contact:
- Joint Advocacy Initiative of the East Jerusalem YMCA and the YWCA of Palestine, campaigns officer, via email at: email@example.com or by phone at (+970) 2 2774540.
- Alternative Tourism Group, program coordinator, via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (+970) 2 2772151.